*HUGS* TOTAL! give EmpyrealFaerie more *HUGS*
Get hugs of your own

Sunday, December 26, 2004

On the first day of Christmas...

Okay, that's one thing that I don't remember at all: is the first day of Christmas 12 days before Christmas Day or on Christmas Day? Does it stretch back in December or ahead into January? Not that I'll really lose sleep over that thought, or anything...

So, my goal in life is achieved: Carley got the Extended Edition of Return of the King and saw my future husband - umm...I mean Dominic Monaghan...Freudian slip - in his portrayal of Hans Jensen. As of now, the start message on my phone is: 'When will you wear wigs?' - Dom and my banner is Dom's girl. Now some may say I need a life, I just say, "Hey, I skipped the teeny-bopper phase when I was thirteen, now can't I have it for a good actor who is just completely awesome?" And the answer is yes, everyone.

Yeah, my mom asked me what I wanted for Christmas this year, I said Dominic Monaghan. She said, "A Merry action figure, you mean?" and I said, "No...Dominic Monaghan. You can kidnap him: I'm sure he wouldn't mind." When she refused I asked for Johnny Depp or, if all else in the world failed, Orlando Bloom (hey, still fun to look at). Ended up getting none of the above. But, I did get a mini IPod, which makes up for some of it. And I got my annual Lord of the Rings 365 desk calendar for my desk and the wall calendar for - you guessed it! - my wall. And my mom found an awesome leather bookmark with pretty beads on it. In gold paint/leaf stuff on the frong it says "Rohan" and there's an image of a horse on it. I love it. I also got some great jewelry.

And then I saw The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. It's awesome: everyone should go out and see it right now when they read this. So leave! Leave! Come back and read the rest after you've seen the movie.

Have you seen the movie? Good. Continuing, as you can tell, I'm still in a good mood, which is amazing considering Christmas was yesterday. Usually all the Christmas movies put me in a really, really bad mood. But I didn't watch any of those - unless you consider Love Actually to be a Christmas movie, but it's really more that it happens to take place with Christmas as a backdrop. But Alan Rickman is sexy (which is really gross when I take time to think about it), so that's all okay. And I love Hugh Grant as the Prime Minister with the girl Natalie who's definitely supposed to be a (prettier) British version of Monica Lewinsky (see the outfit she wears at the end of the movie). The Portuguese girl is also great. My favorite part, though, is probably the really ugly kid, Colin, that goes to the U.S. to meet girls, since he says he'd be a sex god with his "cute British accent". Meanwhile, in the movie, he says, "I have a cute British accent", I totally go along with the stereotype and kind of sigh and say, "Yes you do" at the same time as his friend says, "No, Colin, you don't."

I've seen that movie way too many times. That and Igby Goes Down, which I saw again the other night. I think someone's going to check me into a mental ward if I watch that too many more times. I have to watch it at least once more, though, since my mom hasn't seen it yet! And I think some of my friends are thinking of committing me just based on my odd choice of my two main leading men at the moment: Dom and Kieran. All my friends are sighing over the grubbily sexy Viggo as Aragorn or the feminine, high cheekboned Orlando as Legolas (or as Will in Pirates of the Caribbean), and here I am liking a hobbit and a "furious boy" (Sookie!). But that's always the case: I always like the rebel. The main reason I like Dominic Monaghan is probably his role as a rock star on Lost. I'm such a pathetic sucker for visual and performing artists. I mean: Dom can obviously act, but he also plays a little guitar and sings. Kieran just has the kick-ass acting. Oh, but his characters are also funny as hell. My favorite Igby Goes Down dialogue sequence:
Igby: It's ironic that the first time in my life that I feel remotely affectionate for her, is when she's dead.
Oliver: You beat up her corpse.
Igby: I know, but after that.

Another great one:
Sookie: You call your mother "Mimi"?
Igby: Well, "Heinous One" is a big cumbersome...and Medea was taken.

Actually, I started loving Kieran just with his first line in that movie:
Igby: (*to a priest at his Catholic school when he's sitting in the office*) If heaven is such a wonderful place then how come being crucified is such a big fucking sacrifice?

Then there's always The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys:
Francis Doyle: (*about the rope tied to the statue of Saint Agatha that they're trying to steal*) Tie it off!
Tim Sullivan: Yeah, that's a great idea. You just hand on here while I go tie it off. Hey, could tie it to your dick if you want.

I started crying after what happens to Kieran in that movie (won't spoil it for those of you that haven't seen the movie). The scene with the dog also made me cry:
Tim Sullivan: Don't you ever tell me to get real. I know what fucking real is okay?

Okay, that's enough gushing for the moment. So what else is going on in my life? Well, I should really do the homework that I have, but, to be honest, I don't want to. So I'll start it tomorrow or sometime. Anyway, I was planning on watching the first part of the Return of the King DVD with my mom, as she hasn't seen it.

Oh, oh, and did you guys know that Brandon Flowers is from Utah?! Where did that come from? He sings with a British accent, for goodness sakes. And he's way too awesome to be American (and the songs by The Killers are also to good to be from this country). They were big over in the UK first, though, so their site is .uk. Which i guess explains why they're actually awesome. One thing I never got is why the bands from the U.S. always win Best Pop Song in the European Music Awards. Europop is much better than American pop. Europe does basically all their music better than we do ours.

Coming this January they're going to have I Love the '90's Deux...which means Rachel is very happy. It means that I'll get to see my boys - Hal Sparks and Michael Ian Black - with new commentary. They're the real reason I watch those shows. Oh, and the ones where Dom is on, obviously ("I mean, there's not much to a sheep. All they do is say 'baa' and wear wooly sweaters" - Dom on how he didn't think cloning Dolly was so impressive). I was actually watching some old episodes of I Love the '80's last night, and feeling like a dork because I knew about everything they were talking about.

Want to really feel like a dork? Watch "The Ultimate Film Fanatic" on IFC and get most of the answers right. Although there was a Tarantino category, which means I was obviously going to rock at least one category. I got all those questions right *blushes*. But I also got the cartoon villains and one other pretty close to being all right (in other words, all three categories they had). But it was slightly embarrassing that I knew the answer to, "Which actor played Elvis in the movie 'True Romance'?" My dad got that right too, so it was okay (Val Kilmer, one of my least favorite actors).

The other night I started yelling at Jeopardy because they made a question incorrectly. They said "This was Tolkien's version of goblins" and the answer was "What is Orcs?" I started yelling, "But there are goblins! Goblins are wholly different monsters in Tolkien's world!" Then my dad wondered if now was the perfect time to have me committed. Heehee...I get upset when people mess up Tolkien - especially Jeopardy, they should research better.

That's like how the one way in which I'm obnoxious about corrections is when I correct how people pronounce Elvish names in Tolkien. I get rather annoying about that. Then, of course, there is when Erin and I go into a Tolkien language discussion and make everyone else wish we'd just leave.

The other day I was looking at a Portuguese Tolkien Site (the Barrow-Downs has it listed as Spanish...I wrote an e-mail correcting them, but I think they didn't listen), and was reading about Elvish in Portuguese. It's amazing how easy it is to read Portuguese if you know Spanish. I actually understood the whole site.

Well, that's really all that's going on in my life at the moment. Namaste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home