*HUGS* TOTAL! give EmpyrealFaerie more *HUGS*
Get hugs of your own

Thursday, July 08, 2004

Re-entering the Garden through the Back Gate...

I'm back from my last overnight college visit! So my list stands as follows:
Yale (a reach)
Amherst (a reach)
Connecticut College
Wellesley
Bryn Mawr (a safety)
Mount Holyoke (a safety)
The last three are all-female, but you know that doesn't really matter to me. I'm still into International Relations, and though only Mount Holyoke, Connecticut College, and Wellesley have actual majors for that, the others have Political Sciences and Government and the like, which concentrates on International Relations. Yale has International Studies for undergraduates and International Relations in its graduate school. Yale is really beautiful, though. I think it is my first choice at the moment. It's ridiculously hard to get into though: only like an 8% chance - 16 if you have a legacy, which I don't. The way the Connecticut College guys eyes nearly popped out of his head when he heard what school I go to, I think I have a pretty good chance of getting in there too.

It's not that the all-women's colleges are bad: in fact they are voted some of the best colleges in the country. However, the fact that they're single-sex eliminates about half the applying body. A lot of girls won't apply either, because they need boys. As I said, that doesn't really matter to me. Smith College - another all-female school - is also pretty nice (and it has horseback riding), but it would be at the bottom of my list, and it's another safety. Two safeties are enough. In my opinion, the Holyoke girls sounded more intelligent than the Smith girls (they're in the same area: near Amherst; there's a five-college consortium that they're part of).

Of the schools that I'm thinking of, it seems that Connecticut College has the best Study Abroad programs. That's what I'm really interested in too. All the schools have Study Abroad, but Connecticut College has some great program options. Yale actually discourages Study Abroad. I mean they wouldn't not let you, but they prefer you to stay on campus all four years. With all the things that go on for those four years, I actually don't really blame the kids that stay. The college-housing system is really cool.

Oh, my friend that wasn't at his house anymore e-mailed. He's okay, which means that I don't have to worry anymore. Don't you love how I can meet someone, know them for half a week, then freak out when something happens? Oi vey.

Speaking of "oi vey", the Yankees need to start winning. We've lost five out of the last six games. Sweeping the Red Sox (haha!) doesn't count for anything if we lose first place to them. I really hope that Tampa Bay catches them too. Imagine Boston if the Red Sox didn't even get Wild Card?

Actually Wellesley and Tufts aren't too far from Boston (two schools I looked at). I'm really not a big fan of Boston, though. It's an okay city, it's just not my type of place. It's just not...New York. That's why I couldn't go to a college in a city other than New York: I'd be comparing it to New York the whole time. Suburbs are fine: as long as there's a larger town or city nearby I'm happy.

Well, I'm off, as there's no more to say! I'll leave the gate open so you can stay in the garden as late as you want. Namaste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home