*HUGS* TOTAL! give EmpyrealFaerie more *HUGS*
Get hugs of your own

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Recounting in the Long Grass...

So I visited Barnard today. It’s really great: it’s small, homey-feeling, but in New York City. You know, if I do end up somewhere else, I don’t know how I’ll survive without New York a stone’s throw away. I mean how will I live without the Met, the Museum of Natural History, Broadway, Yankee games, art galleries, and everything the city has to offer? That’s why I don’t want to go to another city college unless it’s New York. My dad is actually rather uncomfortable with the thought of his little girl living in the city, actually, so I may end up not even applying. I still have time to think about that, though.
I think the fact that Barnard’s right across from Columbia is great too. You can take as many courses as you want there without having to deal with how big the college is. A friend of mine is actually going to Columbia: she wants to be an English major. You have so many resources in New York at your fingertips – that’s one of the reasons I wanted to check Barnard out. Also my friend from school’s mother works in the library there. She said, "You’re looking at all-girl schools and you’re not seeing Barnard?" So basically we had to go down and check it out. My mom also loved it.
I was describing the college process to my mother today and I came up with a metaphor that about sums up the college process. It’s like a circle of prostitution. First the college tries to degrade itself in order to get you to apply. You go on tours and information sessions and they say "such-and-such is why we’re the best school for you in the country and why you should apply – now does anyone want an application please?" So they try to get you to apply. Then you sell yourself back when you interview and apply, saying, "please, please, I am selling my body and soul to you: let me go to this college." Then they, in turn, lower themselves when they accept you, trying to convince you that they really, really, really want you to go there. Finally, you sell your physical self to the school for four years…after getting screwed by the ridiculously high tuition.
Tomorrow I also have my Connecticut College interview. Since we’re so close, we might check out the aquarium nearby, as we have not been there for years. That is, of course, if it turns out that we have extra time after the interview.
And that’s really all that’s drastically new in my life. Namaste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home